[sw-l] Re: SW in Latin American & Spain

Mon May 23 22:20:50 UTC 2005

James Shepard-Kegl,

It seems to me... (as a hearing man raised with English as my first
langauge)

Administrators have a problem of ignorance and misunderstanding.  I
think talking about SignWriting only makes the problem worse.  To me,
SignWriting is like grammar. It has rules and lessons.  It is made up of
best practices.  It can be boring to talk about unless you're directly
involved.

Sign langauge can be written,  just as any other langauge.  However,
sign langauges use a movement alphabet, rather than a phonetic alphabet,
because sign langauge moves.

Only ignorance and misunderstanding makes it possible for someone to say
that using SignWriting violates standard teaching procedures.  You use
written langauge with SignWriting.  Written langauge is the basis of any
modern education.  An education system that rejects reading and writing
would violate standard teaching procedures.

Helping people understand the importance of sign language is the real
problem.  But before we can discuss sign langauge, we have to get to the
heart of the matter.  Langauge is the true foundation of a modern education.

The earlier children are exposed to langauge, the better.  Children
absorb and create langauge naturally.  Humans are linguistic creatures.

While Oralists admit that early exposure to langauge is important, I am
not sure if they accept sign langauges as true languages.

Oralists choose to ignore that the children's attitude and experiences
are important.  A child's involvement, interest and enjoyment in
education makes all of the difference in their development as human
beings.

Deaf history is filled with stories of children who were robbed of their
childhoods because they were mainstreamed.  Their early years were
filled with confusion because they were forced to use a language they
could not fully experience.  Their time was consumed with constant
drills so that they could lip-read and voice.

A basic education is no different for a hearing child or a deaf child:
1) Early exposure to language
2) A love of learning
3) The ability to read and write their primary language

Once a child has been equiped with these 3 steps of a basic education,
there is no stopping the child from becoming a successful individual.
Oralism fails starting with step 1.  Oralism continues to fail with step 2.

-Steve