finger movements spelling rules

Nana Dumitra nana.dumitra at SCHLOSSKLAUS.AT
Sat Nov 5 06:22:27 UTC 2005

Dear Charles,
To me it is the first one.
Greetings,
Nana

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Charles Butler
Sent: Samstag, 05. November 2005 04:30
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: Re: [sw-l] finger movements spelling rules

 HYPERLINK
"http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-BR/dict/sl/mundo_3.png"mundo_3  or
HYPERLINK
"http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-BR/dict/sl/mundo_4.png"mundo_4

It's real hard to show hands on top of each other closing, and swirling
clockwise while closing to an A handshape.

Which is clearer?

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
November 3, 2005

> Charles Butler wrote:
>> How does this look following those rules, the hands spin in a
>> circle while trilling.

Hello Charles -
Thanks for this question. That is a beautiful sign from Brazil, isn't
it? smile...

There are two different issues here...One is the symbols themselves,
and the other is...What do we do, when we do not want to write both
the beginning and ending positions?...

So far, with the rules that I just posted, I was writing both the
beginning and ending positions of the sign. I am not saying you have
to do that, it is just a question that keeps coming up over the
years...what happens when we take one of those hand positions
away?..and which one do we take away? We know, with the dot-by-dot
symbols we have to have the open hand, or otherw! ise we don't know
which finger is closing first, second or third, so I guess if you are
going to take one away, you have to take the ending position away,
which is what you did in this writing...

So we are assuming knowledge of the sign...and that is ok, if it can
be read by the people who know the sign!

For me, as a foreigner, I would not really know how the sign
finishes...what handshape does it close into? An S handshape, or an A
handshape? And are those two ending handshapes relating to each other
at the end? or are they separated by space? smile...

Would it hurt to write the ending position? Thanks for your
question! Val ;-)

01.11.2005