BRAZIL Sign for Mundo

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 5 15:55:32 UTC 2005

Only difficulty in yours valerie is that it doesn't show the hands stacked on top of each other, which is really hard to write.  I'm not sure how to do that easily.  I prefer the folding circle, as that was one of the first "shorthands" we used in Brazil.  My shorthand was very close to yours, and was used almost immediately in the school where Marianne was teaching as that swirling circle is used in several signs.

mundo_2   mundo_4 (same sign from above with final As)

linda (beautiful)
  Marianne Stumpf (Nani)   mundo_5 (yours)

I can understand the shorthand of the Parkhursts, but it's not an "obvious" swirl to me as the "swirl in a circle" is.  It looks more like "rapid closure of hand twice".

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
November 5, 2005

Hello Charles, Antonio Carlos, Cris, Sergio, Augusto and so many
wonderful List members from Brazil!

Would any of you enjoy being an Editor of the Brazilian SignPuddle
dictionary online? It is free and simple. I send you an invitation in
an email message that gives you a link to click on, to establish your
password. And from then on, you can delete, rename and change any
sign in the Brazilian SignPuddle...so just write to me if you would
like to be an Editor.

Charles - regarding the sign for Mundo...I think your different
choices are all interesting and I do not have an opinion. I have
added one alternative writing for you, to think about, in the
Brazilian SignPuddle...

As you know, that finger-by-finger closing symbol with all the
connected dots is very intricate and detailed. Both the Parkhursts in
Spain and Stefan in Germany teach another symbol too, that is
simpler, and takes up less space...but it does not state which finger
closes or opens first...but it still means one finger at a time...and
maybe that is enough detail for the sign for Mundo...who knows? smile...

In this example I tried writing wrist circles instead of arms
circles...I assume you will throw this example out of the Brazilian
SignPuddle later and that is fine with me! ;-)

Thanks for your question!