POLAND... how to write LAPTOP, help!

Sat Nov 26 16:44:06 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 26, 2005

> This is such a simple sign, and so difficult to write... The
> movement imitates the openinig of the laptop cover. I know there is
> a mistake in my spelling... :-(.

Hello Everyone, Lucyna, Charles, Shane...
I hope the North Americans on our List had a wonderful Thanksgiving
Holiday!

I would write the sign for laptop-computer in one of four ways, based
on the sign that I have seen, where the computer opens twice,
finishing in the open position. You will find these signs in the ASL
SignPuddle under laptop-computer.

Charles used the correct Rotation Symbol for opening and then
closing... So the only difference in my writing is showing the
computer opening twice finishing in the open position. The Rotation
Symbol Charles used finishes in the closed position.

When I looked in the ASL SignPuddle, I saw Charles, that you wrote a
version seeing both hands from the Front View...I like that! So I did
one version like that myself...smile...see attached...it is number 2...

I would not personally use a Surface Symbol, but if you have to, then
the Surface Symbol is placed to the side of the hand (see my version
3), so that the hands themselves can be as close as possible...that
is the Position of Contact rule, that shows the hands as close to
each other as possible, not letting contact symbols, such as the
Surface Symbol, to get in the way of the picture of the hands close
to each other...

You are doing a great job, Lucyna...and thanks to everyone for your
questions!