LESSONS SignBank-SignPuddle- Ingvild's presentations

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 29 12:22:30 UTC 2005

Hi Val and all,

yes, I believe that the file that Val has is the complete file - I have not
been doing much input into SignBank over the last several months.

My presentations went well. They were in a national congress on Norwegian
langauge(s). On Friday, there was a workshop on NSL. I presented the
possibility to store (technical) vocabulary by using SignWriting, and showed
examples from the old SW-DOS dictionaries and fram SignPuddle and SignBank.
There was an openness to this that I have not met among these people before.
Also, they were impressed to hear that I had several thousand signs stored
in my computer, and asked if was willing to share - which of course I am.
They also wanted to know if the signs could be read by people other than the
actual scribe, and I assured them that we can all read each other's signs
pretty fluently.

On Saturday, the audience was more mixed. I presented on the making of
physics terminologi in NSL - based on the paper that is in the lingustic
forum on the SignWriting site. People were impressed, and I was officially
invited to participate at an upcoming (2007) Nordic Terminology Congress
.... I used SW to present the signs, of course, so they all saw the system.

The NSL people decided to have another workshop aound May next year, and I
suppose that I will get further oportunities to present the system then.

For now, I just have to do the last changes and pages to the book (on SW in
Norwegian) before I publish it on the web. I will give you the URL-address
when that is done. Before Christmas ...

All the best to all,

it seems everyone is so busy and soooo productive, it is amazing

Ingvild