LESSONS SignBank-SignPuddle- Ingvild's presentations

Tue Nov 29 15:04:35 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 29, 2005

On Nov 29, 2005, at 4:22 AM, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> yes, I believe that the file that Val has is the complete file - I
> have not been doing much input into SignBank over the last several
> months.

Ingvild -
One way for me to update your file, is to re-create your signs in
SignBank from the beginning, one at a time, in front of everyone,
like a lesson in how to do it. That way you will get your signs in
your new SignBank, and we can all learn together. If I have to update
all your signs first, they all have to be in your SignPuddle too to
make the lessons work...because the two programs are coordinating
now...so I haven't even started the process of seeing if each sign is
already in your SignPuddle!

And we have so many wonderful users now, and Carmen Steiner, in
German-Switzerland, has added 4645 signs to the German-Swiss SignPuddle!

In the process, Carmen found a mistake in the IMWA...I forgot to put
the left rotations for a whole set of arrows in the IMWA and no one
found the mistake until Carmen did this weekend! I am so glad she did...

So I am now correcting that problem in both SignBank and
SignPuddle...this could only have happened with someone who is using
SignPuddle a lot, and that is wonderful that Carmen found it...

Both SignBank and SignPuddle must use the same IMWA to work, so this
means that I have to correct this problem in both programs internally...

Plus, Thierry asked for three new handshapes to write French-Belgian
Sign Language, and I know you need your Mouth positions for Norwegian
Sign Language, and those symbols are not in either program yet
either...and I have to add those...

So everyone - let's be practical...I am not ready to start teaching
SignBank...without those symbols in both programs it will be
impossible for you to sort your dictionaries by Sign-Symbol-Sequence...

So the Lessons in SignBank will have to wait at least a week to give
me a chance to do the work...

Congrats on all your amazing accomplishments, Ingvild!