Amazed

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 30 02:23:28 UTC 2005

Go to the same site, Valerie and Stuart, and check on Wonderful.  I think that is the sign you are talking about.  The "Amaze" sign I that site I would use for "surprise".  Shows what different ASL sign communities translate English words as.

  Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
  SignWriting List
November 29, 2005

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Another sign I am trying to evaluate the spelling of is AMAZE. I
> wrote it like this:
> Basically, it is eyes wide open, mouth open, closed fist with
> thumbs extended from the palm. The four fingers extend all the way
> and quickly return to the fist. Does this spelling make sense? Or
> should I use the ^ finger symbols? I probably could just use a
> simple fist instead of the thumb extended. Any thoughts from ASL
> users?

Hello Stuart -
Since I had never seen that sign before, I looked on this web page:

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

Is that the sign for Amazing that you are talking about? It doesn't
look like it closes again, in the video clip on that web page...but
their sign may be a different one...

The symbol you chose for open-close was actually developed for
writing small opening and closings of fingers...like drumming your
fingers on a table...not such a big opening and closing...but it may
be a solution anyway...let me try a few ways of writing it and it
will be fun to discuss it ...smile...Val ;-)