Video conversation with Stuart, and First US SW Symposium discussed...

Wed Nov 30 21:42:23 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 30, 2005

Dear SW List, and Stuart!

Stuart and I just had an amazing videophone conversation for almost
one hour...

I live in San Diego, California, which is on the west coast of the
US, and Stuart lives in the middle of the US, in Des Moines, Iowa.
That is a long distance...and our Sign Language conversation was as
clear as if Stuart was sitting here in my office...truly amazing
technology...and it all comes on our TV sets, without our computer!

I learned from Stuart that while we are talking on the videophone, I
can be videotaping the conversation to reveiw it on videotape later!
That is a new feature I did not know about...which I will use next
time...

Stuart showed me the two signs he wants to write...the sign for HEY,
and the sign for STARTLED-AMAZEMENT...two very different issues
surrounding those two signs and I will try to write those in the next
day or so...

SOME AMAZING NEWS!

Stuart tells me that the US National Association of the Deaf (the
NAD) is holding their big conference here in Palm Desert, California
in 2006. Palm Desert is about an hour drive from my home, so this
means I can attend the NAD conference!

This ALSO means that we could hold the First US SignWriting Symposium
here in San Diego, directly after the NAD conference. There is a
beautiful little hotel right on the ocean in La Jolla (the section of
San Diego where I live). I could find out if there are group rates
for that hotel and we could hold the SignWriting Symposium there.
People could learn SignWriting in the morning and go to the beach in
the afternoon, and we could have parties at my home in the
evenings...sounds fun, doesn't it!

The NAD Conference is from June 29 - July 3, 2006, in Palm Desert.

The SW Symposium could be from July 4th-6th, in La Jolla.

We could arrange for everyone to travel to La Jolla on July 4th,
which is our Independence Day. We could attend the July 4th
celebration in the evening, right on the beach in front of the
hotel...they have Fireworks there every year. And then the Symposium
could take place on the 5th and 6th. I think we could have workshops
taught by Deaf people, such as Stuart and others, and I could also
hold private sessions with anyone interesting in learning SignWriting
privately. And of course we will have interpreters...

Stuart is a voting Delegate, representing Iowa, at the NAD
Conference...it is an amazing Conference...I remember once I attended
an NAD conference back in the 1980s and it is my memory that there
were around 3000 Deaf people there, all signing in the lobby of a
hotel and it was a terrific feeling...like living in a country with
only Sign Language and spoken language was the minority language!

I hope to be back on the List tomorrow morning...I need to go to the
post office and to pay some bills...

Thank you, Stuart, for this information about the NAD conference...
(see below)

Val ;-)

--------------------------------

US National Association of the Deaf

Call to the 48th Biennial NAD Conference
June 29-July 3, 2006
Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort-Palm Desert, California

Andrew Lange, president of the National Association of the Deaf (NAD)
officially issues a Call to the Conference. The 48th Biennial
Conference of the National Association of the Deaf will be held at
the Desert Springs JW Marriott Resort in Palm Desert, California
(Palm Springs area) beginning on the 29 day of June 2006 and ending
on the third day of July 2006 or upon official adjournment. The theme
of this year's conference is, "Change Today for Tomorrow."

What's on the Conference Agenda?

Opening Ceremonies; Exhibits; Workshops; Forums; NAD College Bowl
Finals; NAD Miss Deaf America Finals; 125th NAD Anniversary and
Conference Banquet; Council of Representatives Meetings; NAD Deaf
Club/DeaFestival Night; NAD recognition award presentations; as well
as events for senior citizens and youth.