POLAND... help for the sign for ANIOL - RUB

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 5 01:46:41 UTC 2005

HMM, I looked at it again, and I guess what I am seeing is that the thumbs stick at one spot, the hands move from the elbow in a circle, and so the thumbs look as if they are circling but the tips stay in one place.

Does RUB indicate that, Valerie?

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
October 4, 2005

Marc Girod & Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> I've been looking at the sign /ANIOL/ several time before seing the
> thumbs touching the chest... I didn't event see it at first
> glance... Val do we still have to use the same circle and then just
> add the star for contact ? or do we have to change anything about
> the movement as the thumbs keep in contact ? just wondering what to
> do in such situations ??

The thumbs rub the chest, that is true. But they do not touch each
other. You see, putting a contact star for touch is misleading in a
sign like that, because it looks like you are saying that the thumbs
are touching each other, and they do not touch each other
continuously...but yes of course they are rubbing the chest, but that
is another subject...

A Rub symbol, without any other movement symbol combined, means Rub
in a Circle. So if you want to show Rubbing in a Circle, that would
be fine. Is that what you mean, Lucyna? No matter what, that is NOT
wrist movement. My point was that the Wrist Movement symbol was
incorrect, that's all.

Here it is with Rub Movement. No Touch symbol is necessary because it
is assumed as a part of the Rub Symbol. When I read this I assume
that I am doing two rubs with the thumbs on the chest...it is assumed
to be the center of the chest area without any shoulder line....you
would need to add a Shoulder LIne for higher up...this one is a
little low probably...but perhaps this will solve the sign a bit...

So in summary...A Rub symbol without any other arrow, means rubbing
in a circle, with continuous contact...