POLAND Sign for ANIOL - Pressing Contact

Wed Oct 5 02:39:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
October 4, 2005

  Charles Butler wrote:
> HMM, I looked at it again, and I guess what I am seeing is that the
> thumbs stick at one spot, the hands move from the elbow in a
> circle, and so the thumbs look as if they are circling but the tips
> stay in one place.  Does RUB indicate that, Valerie? Charles

No, it would not be Rub if the thumbs do not rub in a circle...so in
this case, it seems this is Pressing Contact, because the thumbs
press in one place like an Anchor.

Take a look at the sign for ANIMAL in ASL. The fingers press against
the chest, and the arms move...smile...or do they? Ha! You see, in
this example, that we have three ways to write the sign for ANIMAL in
ASL.

Version 1 has the arms moving.
Version 2 has the wrists moving.
Version 3 has the Knuckle Joints of the fingers moving...

All three writings have been used before...I think version 3 is the
most accurate...See next message for the writing of ANIOL pressing
against the chest...