Summary of writing steps for SignWriting

Nana Dumitra nana.dumitra at SCHLOSSKLAUS.AT
Fri Oct 7 08:11:09 UTC 2005

Hi Stuart,
That sounds like I do it. I don't know about others though? :)
Nana

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Stuart
Thiessen
Sent: Freitag, 07. Oktober 2005 13:46
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] Summary of writing steps for SignWriting

I was just looking for a way to describe in basic, simple terms how we
move from a sign we see to a sign we write. Any feedback on these steps
as a way to describe this process? It would be much appreciated. I came
up with these steps. I am not sure about the timing of #6, but I just
put it there for now. I wanted to think of a way to help people
visualize the process. This is what I catch myself doing. What about
you all?

1. Identify the sign’s “anchor.” This could be neutral space in front
of the body or it could be some location on the body.
2. If hands are involved (we should never assume always), we need to
identify the handshape(s) and orientation(s) and select the
corresponding symbol(s), placing the symbol(s) in 2D relationship to
the anchor.
3. If the hand(s) contact the body or each other, we need to select the
appropriate contact symbol to represent the contact.
4. Unless the sign is stationary or only consisting of simple contact,
we now look to identify the movement of the hand(s) and select the
appropriate movement symbol(s).
5. If the hand(s) change to another handshape(s) during the movement,
we select those handshape(s) and note their location(s).
6. Finally, we note any particular dynamics (fast, slow, tense, etc.)
and any non-manual markers that are essential to the sign.

Thanks,

Stuart