SignWriting in Mobile phones with questions and user manual

Nana Dumitra nana.dumitra at SCHLOSSKLAUS.AT
Wed Oct 26 05:01:03 UTC 2005

Dear Aisha,
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I hope you can still use it. I love
the idea and I would love to already be able to use SignWriting on a
mobile phone. The deaf here are sending SMS messages all the time and I
am sure they would love it.
Greetings from the Philippines,
Nana

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] On Behalf Of Aisha Ahmed
Sent: Freitag, 09. September 2005 13:58
To: SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu; sutton at signwriting.org
Cc: indo_aa1 at lycos.com
Subject: [sw-l] SignWriting in Mobile phones with questions and user
manual

Hi Valerie and Everyone on the SignWriting List,
A user manual for the prototype is attached herewith and here are the
questions.

The aim of this survey is to find out the possibility of an
additional sign messaging function for mobile phones. All
information gathered shall be kept confidential and used for
research purposes only.
Thank you.
Aisha Shamsuna Ahmed
The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus

Please put a ‘X’ in [ ] to mark your choices.

Section A
1. Do you use a mobile phone?
    (Please tick only one option)
    [ X] Yes
    [ ] No

2. Do you use a mobile phone to write and receive text messages?
    (Please tick only one option)
    [ X] Yes
    [ ] No

3. If your answer to question 2 is yes, how often do you write and
receive text messages?
    (Please tick only one option)
    [ X] Daily
    [ ] 2 to 6 times a week
    [ ] Once a week
    [ ] Once in a while

4. What else do you use a mobile phone for?
    (You may select more than one option)
    [ X] Making and/or receiving voice calls
    [ ] Making and/or receiving video calls
    [ ] Sending and/or receiving multi-media messages

5. Do you use any of the following handheld devices?
    (You may select more than one option)
    [ ] Pager
    [ ] Palm Pilot
    [ ] PDA (Personal Digital Assistant)
    [ ] Communicator phone
    [ ] Others (Please Specify) ____________________________

6. Based on the prototype you have used, would you like to be able to
use a mobile phone or any of the handheld devices you selected for
writing and receiving messages in signs?
    (Please tick only one option)
    [ X] Yes
    [ ] No

7. Based on the prototype you have used, do you think that having this
function in a mobile phone or any of the handheld devices you selected
would aid you in learning SignWriting?
    [ ] Yes
    [ X] Maybe
    [ ] No

8.  Based on the prototype you have used, please kindly answer the
following questions?
    (Please tick one option for each question)

    How easy was the prototype to use?
    [ X] Very Easy	 [ ] Easy 	[ ] Fairly Easy		[ ]
Difficult	 [ ] Very Difficult

    Do you think the option Preview presented on the interfaces is easy
to comprehend and use?
    [ X] Very Easy	 [ ] Easy 	[ ] Fairly Easy		[ ]
Difficult	 [ ] Very Difficult

    Do you think the option View gloss presented on the interfaces is
easy to comprehend and use?
    [ X] Very Easy	 [ ] Easy 	[ ] Fairly Easy		[ ]
Difficult	 [ ] Very Difficult

    Do you think the functions of writing and reading messages are
sufficient?
    [ X] Very Sufficient	[ ] Sufficient	[ ] Fairly Sufficient
[ ] Insufficient [ ] Very Insufficient

    Do you think the flow of tasks for writing and reading messages are
similar to the way you use SignMail?
    [ ] Strongly Agree	[ ] Agree	[ X] Neutral	[ ] Disagree
[ ] Strongly Disagree

9. Do you have any comments or suggestions?
I would like to already use it. I would improve communication between
the deaf and between deaf and hearing workers soooo much. Great idea!

Section B

1. Would you call yourself an expert, intermediate or novice sign
writer?
    [ ] Expert
    [ X] Intermediate
    [ ] Novice

2. How long have you known and used SignWriting?
    [ ] Never
    [ ] Less than a month
    [ ] 1 to 5 months
    [ ] 6 months to 1 year
    [ X] Above 1 year   2 years
        (Please Specify number of years if known)

Thanks a lot,
Kind Regards,
Aisha

PS
Valerie, please if these emails still don't get to the list, could
you forward them directly to at least 10 people who could respond and
mail
them back to me (kcx4aas at nottingham.edu.my). The prototype is over
400kb so I doubt if it will still get to the list. Thanks I really
appreciate this.

Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number.  -Lycos Yellow
Pages

http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/default
.asp?SRC=lycos10

25.10.2005