Belgium: Lessons in Spelling

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 28 10:52:14 UTC 2005

Hi Kathleen and Valerie.

Though I learned the old one (2), I like the new one (1)better as it shows the dynamic nature of the sign with a rub, the other one just drops through and doesn't give the "feel" of motion.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
October 27, 2005

> Kasterlinden Bilinguaal wrote:
> Hello Val, try to beat you to it ;) How about this? The arrow is
> shorter...is there a way to show the hand does not leave the left
> one but stays still inside the left hand?....greetings Kathleen

-----------------------

Hello Kathleen -

Ha! it was fun that you beat me to it! ;-)

Your writing is the first one in the Flemish SignPuddle, and it is
fine....I also added my second version there too...see attached...

The second version is a different style of writing, based on the way
we have written the sign for Spring in ASL over many years. The 5-
Hand is a little easier symbol for people to read, and we show the
Position of Contact at the end of the sign, with a Grasping-Inbetween
symbol that shows that the two hands are really holding at the end...

Sometimes a movement can be written several ways..(.just like
English: the words BE and BEE sound the same, but written differently)