writing signlanguage

Kimberley A. Shaw kshaw at WELLESLEY.EDU
Fri Sep 2 22:08:46 UTC 2005

Yes, but you *are* seeing the people on the screen, as well as the words!
I would say that written English and spoken English are definitely
different. Sometimes the differences are subtle, sometimes not -- but
occasionally I find myself writing something down that is nothing like the
way I would express myself if I were speaking it instead!
So, the more we SignWrite, the more we'll find out (by doing) just how to
get signed languages to make sense on the written page and what needs to
be added to make that happen ... something we take so for granted in
spoken languages, that I think we don't even think to notice the kinds of
things we need to add when writing to make up for the absence of
face-to-face presence!
-- Kim from Boston

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu on Friday, September 02, 2005 at 5:54 PM