writing signlanguage - written and 'spoken' language

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Sep 3 19:05:01 UTC 2005

As a hearing person, I know that I have to change my language when I cannot
see the person I am talking to. In ordinary conversation, many of the
'rules' of the language are broken - this does not matter, because most of
the message is carried by non-verbal signals: stress and loudnessof the
voice, moving and position of the body (yes, hearing people do use a lot of
the same ways as deaf people do), etc. If it is dark, if I move into another
room, if I speak on the phone - I have to be more careful about how I say
things to be sure to be understood. When I write, I also change my language:
if I write to a close friend or family, it is not very different from the
language in the telephone, but it still has to follow more rules. If I write
to someone I do not know that well, or if it is a more official letter, I
have to be more careful again. - The written language has to be 'stiffer'
than the spoken or signed language, because we do not have easy access to
all the non-verbal cues.  This may be less so for signed languages than for
spoken ones, because in SignWriting we do have the possibility to write the
face and the body and ... But once we start writing 'official' letters etc.,
we will meet this problem.

E-mails are considered very unofficial, so the language used in e-mails does
often not follow the strict rules of the language - and they are often full
of spelling mistakes, too.

Of course, in the subtitles of a film, you can get some of the non-verbal
cues. Also, the subtitles are not fully what is said, they are shortened to
fit with the pace of the speech and the available space. So the subtitles
are not good examples of written language - they are a way to give the most,
but not all, to those who do ot understand the spoken language of the film
(in Norway, most of the film are foreign, and subtitled, so I know, because
I can understand some of the spoken languages)

Ingvild