Writing Dialogues in Signed Languages

Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Thu Sep 8 14:51:07 UTC 2005

Valerie,

    I'm very curious about what you are saying on writing dialogues.

    1) How to display the signers: from top, around the common space
betwen them? side by side, in a line, all seem from a distant point of view?

    2) How to display the dialogue objects )reference points as you
mentioned them): in the common space between the signers, with the
signers around them? spread along the line of signers, in the second
case above?

    3) In any case, how to display spatial relations between the dialog
objects? For instance, if we are talking about a pencil that is on a
book that is on a table?

    Of course, I'm not asking that you have ready made solutions for
those aspects :-) Neither for all the other aspects that I'm not aware
of, but that will certainly arise when trying to solve the problem.

    But the reason I'm bringing the issue to the list is that I felt,
from the talks with the french colleagues, that the problem of
representing dialogues is a central one for them. To the point that I
would say that the acceptability of SignWriting to them depends
precisely on it. Sure, they are all lecturers and researchers, and
almost all are non deaf. But I feel that, at the moment at least, they
are having a strong say on SignWriting in France.

   By the way, do you know that Marianne Stumpf spent six months this
year, in Toulouse and Paris, teaching and explaining SignWriting in
various universities and deaf schools, including deaf associations? All
interested in the subject of writing sign languages had the opportunity
to meet her, and squeeze her :-) to solve their doubts about SignWriting.

   The talks I had with some of them happened after Marianne's stay, and
I felt that the issue of writing dialogues is the crucial one for them.

   Just to let you know my personal view of what is happening in France.

   All the best,

   Antônio Carlos

--
Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa