FRANCE Sign for Etudiant

Mon Sep 12 00:13:28 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 11, 2005

Juliette Dalle wrote:
> See the photo of the sign "student" (name of a deaf student
> association) and the sign in SW draft as example. The left hand is
> behind of the right hand : which symbol to use ?

Hello Juliette and Everyone!
Thank you for the photo. Photos help so much...

There are a variety of ways to see "behind" in SignWriting. We do not
have a Behind Symbol. In the Expressive View, we can look overhead
and look down on our hands and then see which one is in front, plus
there are other ways too.

I added two of my own writings of this sign in the French SignPuddle.
You can always delete them from your SignPuddle later, once we have
finished our discussion...Look at the attached diagram. I think the
overhead view of the left hand and the darker arm line makes it clear
that it is more behind than the other hand...If you are looking down
on the left hand, it is clear that the right hand is more forward...