FRANCE Sign for Etudiant

Tue Sep 20 16:35:37 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 20, 2005

Juliette and Charles -

I showed you this diagram because you said you were interested in
research and details...smile...

Please see the attached diagram. When you write the Finger Movement
Symbols, without adding the second ending position, it technically
can mean ANY kind of closing, including a small closing that does not
touch at the end.

Charles said that he would have assumed it must be number 2. And of
course, if you are from the western world, and use a signed language
that has some influence from French Sign Language, like American Sign
Language for example (smile), then of course you can assume
that ...and that is fine!

But writing other signed languages, like the signed languages in
Africa or Asia, cannot make that assumption. So I was trying to
explain that in the research world, we like to write both positions
to make it clear, but if you are writing for your own language only,
then of course you do not have to write every detail...

So Charles, you cannot assume that all signed languages will
automatically close to the touching position....Even it that seems
natural to you and me!  Val ;-)