ASL Sign for 10 looks strange...what do you think?

Sun Sep 25 05:18:34 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 24, 2005

Charles Butler wrote:
> I agree, it does look strange, it is completely counter-intuitive,
> but I don't know how to fix it.  Ugh.  If you compare it to the A
> handshape, it makes sense, but it still doesn't feel right.

But the alternative is the old symbol which apparently was confusing
for others, so we have to adjust to it. I miss the ability to be able
to see the side view of the hand, but still have the thumb sticking
straight up...that is gone now...but it only influences two signs in
ASL really - the sign for 10 and the sign for NOT...the others are
ok, although it looks funny when we write the sign for A-OK...You
know, the sign with the thumb that sticks straight up showing someone
that that is real good, or super...that sign has lost its
iconicity...oh well! Val ;-)