Japanese Sign Language "ni" Which is the "unmarked" form?

Penner Mark pennersw at YBB.NE.JP
Mon Sep 26 04:38:42 UTC 2005

We are in the process of trying to determine the standard fingerspelling for "ni" ( and by the same principle, "mi") in Japanese Sign language. The handshape has two fingers out, but the native signer doesn't think of them as the fingers touching  (eg. ASL "u") or spread (eg. ASL "v"). In actuality, they do not touch, but neither are they spread. They are "just there". The "u" option seems too stiff, but the "v" option seems way too purposefully spread.

We would like to hear from others in the SW community. When you see the first handshape, do you think of the fingers touching? Or do you think of two fingers out parallel, maybe, but not necessarily, touching?

Thanks in advance for your input,

Mark