Japanese Sign Language "ni" Which is the "unmarked" form?

Mon Sep 26 15:11:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
September 26, 2005

Hello Mark, Geoffrey, Ingvild -
Technically, the U Handshape was defined, when it was first invented,
as the two fingers straight and touching each other. The contact was
a part of the definition, because we cannot add a contact star to two
fingers touching, for other reasons, so touch was a part of the
meaning of the symbol.

But that does not mean you should not use the U Hand. Quite the
opposite. I think you should use it...

Geoffrey alluded to this is his message....The REAL question to ask:
Is there ever a time, when signing Japanese Sign Language, that you
MUST have the two fingers touching each other? If that is the case,
then I have no choice but to add another symbol to the IMWA, so you
can differentiate between the one that touches and the one that does
not touch.

But if you never care if the two fingers touch, then define the U
hand to mean the relaxed position, for Japanese Sign Language ....
that is a pronunciation issue actually. There are many letters of the
Roman Alphabet, for example, that are written the same in different
countries, but each language pronounces them slightly differently.

This has already happened when writing Danish Sign Language years
ago, having to do with the Tight Fist...the square and the Open
Fist...the circle. ASL differentiates between the two and needs the
two distinctly....but in Danish Sign Language, it is more relaxed,
somewhere in-between the two, and they don't care one way or the
other. So which one did they choose? They chose to use the square for
the Tight Fist, even though it is not tight in Danish Sign Language....

Thanks for your question, Mark! Please say hello to your team for
me...I know you are busy busy busy...

Val ;-)