New 10 Handshape in SignPuddle now!

Wed Sep 28 13:05:45 UTC 2005

Hi Val,

I don't like the change.  When I read 5a, I see the thumb going forward
because I'm looking down from above.  5b, I can read correctly, but it
seems overly complicated to just give a thumbs up.

I'm not sure I really understand why we had to change the symbol to
start with.  It was different, but I think it is a special case.

The finger groups are based on the ASL numbers 1 thru 10.  Sign
languages are constantly evolving.  I think there is a reason why the 10
handshape in ASL has the thumb up, rather than to the side.  I'm not
sure if that reason is valid for the alphabet, but this new way feels
weird and confusing.

-Steve