New 10 Handshape in SignPuddle now!

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 28 16:18:09 UTC 2005

Comparing the two grids seems hopelesslly confusing.  On the left hand side, all of the thumbs are in the same orientation, so you can choose which one you want, spinning them around on a single axis.  On the one on the right hand side, you rotate the hand around all of its orientations, not keeping the same orientation on the hand and simply changing.  It's now much more confusing than before.  I can't just click on a thumb, pointing UP, and spin it around on that axis anymore.

Please explain the layout change and why you did it, as it really is awkward to search for a sign because they aren't laid out the same at all.  If I want a THUMB UP, and I click on that thumb up, if I punch on a key, is it going to spin that thumb up and down and sideways, or will it show that thumb up with the primary UP axis remaining the same while it goes through the six orientations.

If I were to have an index finger, I would be showing, normally, the index finger pointing UP first with three rotations, then the forward axis on all three.

Now REALLY confused.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
September 28, 2005

On Sep 28, 2005, at 6:05 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> I don't like the change. When I read 5a, I see the thumb going
> forward because I'm looking down from above. 5b, I can read
> correctly, but it seems overly complicated to just give a thumbs up.

Steve -
The thumbs up symbol is the same in the old and the new!! That is the
ONE symbol that did not change...so that is funny...I think you may
not realize what we had before...

Obviously you could always write the thumbs up with a white palm, and
that was always clear and still is... no matter which version we
use... but if the thumbs up is projecting forward then we are using
the same symbol in old and new...or at least very close...