SignWriting in Denmark 1982 ;-)

Tue Apr 4 01:11:04 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 3, 2006

  Ingvild Roald in Norway wrote:
> Yes, we certainly could try to put together the history of SW in
> Europe - I first met sign writing when I was on a study visit to
> the school in Copenhagen in october 1982, the very year they
> started using it there. A deaf girl, mabe 12 years old, prodly
> showed me that she could write her own language. Since then I have
> been hooked ....

Hello Ingvild!
We must have just missed each other...I believe I had left Copenhagen
when you were there...Was this the Deaf child you spoke to? (see web
page below)...She and her brother both attended the workshops that I
taught...They were the only children who attended, along with around
20 teachers, and then the next year they learned it in school...but
they were ahead of all their classmates because they had learned it
earlier ;-)

See this web page:
http://signwriting.org/deaf/deaf013.html

It would be great to write a European history of SignWriting...it
would take some time to reconstruct it and document it!