ETHIOPIAN Handshapes in SignWriting

Wed Apr 5 15:07:43 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 5, 2006

Eyasu Tamene from Ethiopia wrote:
> As you may remember for the past monthes, Stefan and me have been
> doing on Ethiopian Manual Alphabets(EMAs) I took so many pictures
> and Stefan did so many drawings. Finally we are on the way to
> finish our homework.  I can tell you how much it is rewarding to
> work together with such a nice adviser, teacher, father- Stefan.
> Attached there is a pdf file which contains all the 33 EMAs.  Would
> you please say something on it.

Dear Eyasu, Stefan, Girmachew, Johannes and SW Listers!

Today I am working on writing the Ethiopian Manual Alphabet in
SignWriting, based on the excellent photos by Eyasu Tamene in
Ethiopia, and Johannes Woehrmann in Germany, and based on the
excellent illustrations of hands, by Stefan Woehrmann. This is an
exciting project....I will be writing each handshape on the
SignWriting List, then adding them to this web page:

SignWriting in Ethiopia
http://www.signwriting.org/ethiopia

Plus, if the handshape does not exist in the International Movement
Writing Alphabet (the IMWA), I will add that handshape to the
IMWA...a big job, but a lot of fun!

Here is an example of the photos with the credits of participating
members in the project...

THANK YOU, to all of you, for your hard work and dedication! Your
work is a blessing...

Val ;-)