FRANCE Beautiful new web site for the Deaf

Wed Apr 5 21:18:14 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 5, 2006

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod from French Switzerland wrote:
> you should also have a look at the site:www.pisourd.ch (site for deaf
> information on health...) and also www.signes.ch (the TV programm
> for the
> deaf)...

Very nice sites too, Anne-Claude! Especially the www.pisourd.ch,
which is a little more visual. The reason I mentioned the French web
site is that is starts out with Sign Language from the very beginning
and is not requiring anyone to know how to read and write a spoken
language...because the signing begins immediately to explain how to
use the web site in Sign Language...charming and practical...attached
is a screen capture to show you what I mean...the man in the bubble
is explaining how to use the site...

Explaining how to use the web in Sign Language was something our own
Deaf Action Committe for SignWriting did years ago...we actually have
some video footage that was never used where Butch, Cindy, Denny,
Kevin (all Deaf) and yes...can you believe? me...ha!...we are on
camera telling people in ASL (and in my ASL-with-a-hearing-accent),
how to use a web site...

We said something like:

Welcome to the SignWriting Web Site. See those buttons over there to
the right? Push on the first button to go to lessons. Push on the
second button to go to Library and so forth...the idea was that we
would open our web site with that video footage...

That was back in 1995! I was thinking ahead of my time, because most
people did not have personal computers or web sites at that time, and
I was not skilled enough at web design, in 1995, to do what the
French web site is doing today...nor was technology ready for video-
related web sites...so that is why I was excited about this new
French web site and I wonder if I shouldn't create a SignWriting web
site with that old video footage in ASL...we will see...I can try an
experiment to show you what I mean...

Here is the French web site

www.Websourd.org

PS. We are working on captioning videos in SignWriting now, so
someday the video could be accompanied, technically, with a
SignWriting captioned version..smile...for the future...