FRANCE Beautiful new web site for the Deaf

Juliette Dalle july.tigre at FREE.FR
Wed Apr 5 23:41:53 UTC 2006

see down... ;-)

Le mercredi, 5 avr 2006, à 23:18 Europe/Paris, Valerie Sutton a écrit :

> SignWriting List
> April 5, 2006
>
> Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod from French Switzerland wrote:
>> you should also have a look at the site:www.pisourd.ch (site for deaf
>> information on health...) and also www.signes.ch (the TV programm for
>> the
>> deaf)...
>
> Very nice sites too, Anne-Claude! Especially the www.pisourd.ch, which
> is a little more visual. The reason I mentioned the French web site is
> that is starts out with Sign Language from the very beginning and is
> not requiring anyone to know how to read and write a spoken
> language...because the signing begins immediately to explain how to
> use the web site in Sign Language...charming and practical...attached
> is a screen capture to show you what I mean...the man in the bubble is
> explaining how to use the site...
>
> Explaining how to use the web in Sign Language was something our own
> Deaf Action Committe for SignWriting did years ago...we actually have
> some video footage that was never used where Butch, Cindy, Denny,
> Kevin (all Deaf) and yes...can you believe? me...ha!...we are on
> camera telling people in ASL (and in my ASL-with-a-hearing-accent),
> how to use a web site...
>
> We said something like:
>
> Welcome to the SignWriting Web Site. See those buttons over there to
> the right? Push on the first button to go to lessons. Push on the
> second button to go to Library and so forth...the idea was that we
> would open our web site with that video footage...
>
> That was back in 1995! I was thinking ahead of my time, because most
> people did not have personal computers or web sites at that time, and
> I was not skilled enough at web design, in 1995, to do what the French
> web site is doing today...nor was technology ready for video-related
> web sites...so that is why I was excited about this new French web
> site and I wonder if I shouldn't create a SignWriting web site with
> that old video footage in ASL...we will see...I can try an experiment
> to show you what I mean...
>
> Here is the French web site
>
> www.Websourd.org
>

> PS. We are working on captioning videos in SignWriting now, so someday
> the video could be accompanied, technically, with a SignWriting
> captioned version..smile...for the future...

It is possible ! There was a little project (me and Marianne Stumpf of
Brazil when she was to Toulouse, France) where we try to translate a
child story video of WebSourd. It was stopped for many reasons however
it isn't dead. This project can be opened one day with the new french
signwritters. At this moment I start to form some public people mixted
(deaf and hearing, started 3 weeks ago) and professional LSF teacher
for hearing (soon). I hope find of them some motived persons for
continuing the project of video in SW-LSF-French writing.

Actually I continue to do some experiences with SW animation (as the
video of "mime" and "happy to angry"). I will prepare an animation
about facial expression. ^_^  About it, I wonder when I will see the 2
video of SW animation I did on the site SW ?

Take care

Juliette

PS : the site WebSourd was opened on january 2005 ! The entreprise
WebSourd was created about 3-5 years ago. And it takes place to
Toulouse where I live. Yeah !