SW - animated receptive point of view

Mon Apr 10 15:00:16 UTC 2006

Hi Antônio and SW list members

.....   "We have found that animations using SW are easier to understand if
written in receptive mode (specially for those not yet trained in
reading SW, as children that are beginning to read it)." ...

This statement is not any conclusion of a significant proof -but more kind
of "feeling" with specific children contacted by an specific SW -
instructor? .. orwhat do you mean "easier to understand" ?

Well ... perhaps children are different in various countries?? - smile

I can think of other factors that motivate the designer and creator of
teaching tools to vote for specific details in his materials -

as there is - expressive vs. receptive
		- coloured symbols
		- different colours for hands
		- materials written for right - and left handed signers
		- preferring flashcards (one sign at a time)
		- preferring writing from left to right
		- preferring writing in columns
		- using sign-gloves that show the difference between palm
and 			back of hand
		- avoiding to write in white on black background
		- avoiding staircase - DOS pixel graphics

The idea behind all these different strategies may be he same - the
"instructor" wants his "students" to understand easily and quickly what
seems so obvious and easy to understand - once you have crossed the bridge
into expressive reading and writing.

I remember that I started with signing-gloves in black-and white (just as
the Belgium team did ) - and I tried several of the above listed "suport -
markers"

I can imagine that the experienced SW user will offer pretty relaxed the
materials as they are - clear and simple without lots of additional
information. Usually it takes a very short period of time to understand and
to follow the concept of expressive - versus receptiv

I can understand that almost everybody looks at these little animated
"Stanleys" as if they are standing in front of you.

If you ask children to look at the animation and to perform the same - they
should be able if it is not to long or too complicated from either
perspective.

Since expressive reading and writing is the standard for most of the actual
documents - I prefer these ...

Stefan;-)