Request for Research Data

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 18 03:38:30 UTC 2006

In the data collection stage, I want to get everything I can
(including an awareness of their experience and usage of SignWriting).
Seeing how a beginner learns and uses SignWriting tells us alot about
how much of SignWriting is intuitive and how much is learned. It also
tells us how people interpret the symbols without instruction. It also
shows us common misunderstandings of a novice user as compared to an
experienced user.

You are right that the more the student understands the rules, the
easier it will be for them to use the system effectively. Right now, I
am not so much concerned with their expertise on the rules, but their
use of the system itself. Sometimes when rules are not present (or
they are unaware of the presence of rules), the mind will come up with
replacement rules that help them bring order to what they are doing.
If that is happening, I would like to be aware of that. This will help
me understand how the system is being used by people (both experienced
and novice).

So, in this stage of things, I am just collecting any and all data
that I can.  In the analysis stage, that is where different practices,
habits, rules, etc. will be given their appropriate weight.

Thanks,

Stuart