SignWriting in Denmark - politics again!

Thu Apr 13 21:01:36 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
April 13, 2006

Everyone, and Shane -
Did you know that Asger Bergman's Deaf wife, Ritva, was one of the
best SignWriting teachers of Deaf children in Denmark in the 1980's?
You have no idea how fabulous it was to see Ritva teach SignWriting
to 6 and 7 year old Deaf children at the Aalborg School for the Deaf
in Aalborg, Denmark. I know! I was there to see it. And one of Asger
and Ritva's darling Deaf children...their Deaf son...was there in the
classroom when I was an invited guest there...and they had signs
written in SignWriting across the walls in the halls of the school,
and Ritva wanted, at that time, to give them good language in BOTH
Danish spoken language and good DSL grammar sentences too...so they
had the SignWriting in DSL grammar in a sentence on the wall, and the
good spoken Danish written translation underneath. I was treated like
a royal guest, when I visited the school...one of the memories one
never forgets...they used SignWriting in the schools until 1988, when
the funding ran out and other politics perhaps and then they continue
to use SignWriting, but in a different way than we do, and only for
interpreters and research and parents of Deaf children, but
SignWriting was in the Danish schools from 1982- 1988 for the younger
Deaf children...but I was blessed to know both Ritva and Asger a
little bit at that time and I really treasure the memory of being in
their home and seeing, at that time, their darling Deaf
children...very young and their tiny little hands signing at native
speeds - totally wonderful! And Asger met Stefan Woehrmann last
summer in Maastricht - smile!

It is no one's fault that things changed in Denmark...but they still
use an old version of the system and I think, if they learn the way
we write around the world now, they might find that Deaf children
will learn SignWriting in Denmark again...but they need to be
informed about the way we are all writing now...they haven't been in
touch with me since around 1990....

As far as when the system was invented...it started in Denmark in
Copenhagen while I was working at the University of Copenhagen...at
that time I was not in touch with Deaf people but was asked to write
a video of Deaf and hearing people signing...I was teaching
DanceWriting (my invention) at the Royal Danish Ballet at the
time...that was 1974...and it was a researcher (hearing) named Lars
von der LIeth who asked me to transcribe the video, but he was
against the idea of writing the language...that was my idea when I
looked at my transcription and realized that if I worked with Deaf
people we might have a written form for the language...I had just
been learning to speak my second language, Danish, and I love
languages and saw this as a possible collaboration with the Deaf
Community...so I went to Lars to suggest this, and Lars, who is a
lovely man, but was not on the same wave length with me, said he
didn't think anyone would want to write sign language..he just wanted
it for his research...so I returned home to the USA and worked with
Deaf people and then in 1982, when we were publishing a newspaper
written in ASL with 10 Deaf native signers in ASL here in the USA...
I sent a copy of the SignWriter Newspaper written in ASL to Britta
Hansen in Denmark and then she invited me to come back to Denmark to
teach the teachers at the Deaf Center for Total Communication in
Denmark in 1982...that is how it entered the Danish School
System...Asger may not realize that Denmark was the first country in
history to teach SignWriting to Deaf children, and Ritva Bergmann was
one of the first teachers, along with Bente Sparrevohn, Annegrethe
Pedersen (Deaf) and several others...See the names on this research
project:

Danish School System uses SignWriting
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/research/rese002.html

Val ;-)