writing multi-party conversation

eghoffma at UMICH.EDU eghoffma at UMICH.EDU
Wed Aug 2 16:23:20 UTC 2006

Hi - I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience writing
multi-party conversations with SSW. I'm working on linguistic
transcripts of naturally occuring conversation/interviews/etc in Nepali
Sign Language. I've only done transcripts of single signers so far, to
get used to Signwriting. Now I want to start doing these multiparty
interactions. Does anyone have any tips about this? I figure that I
will have each party's signing going down side-by-side vertical strips
(which is nice because I can visually represent overlap and all that).
I am writing from the receptive point of view for these transcripts as
that seems more suited to what I am working on here (though I agree
that expressive makes more sense for personal writing). In most of
these conversations the signers are facing one another (and are
therefore at 3/4 to the camera). Does it make any sense to represent
the way that looks in the sign writing or does it make more sense to
write the signs as if the signers were directly facing the camera?
Also, I have a lot of home signers in my data, who often incorporate
the physical environment in their communication (reaching out to
physically manipulate objects, trace on table tops, etc). I don't
suppose sign writing has any means of representing contact with
external physical objects? If not I can always describe these actions
along with the glosses. I think most of these questions will work
themselves out as I keep working, but I thought I'd throw some of these
questions out there so I won't reinvent the wheel if someone has
already worked through all this.
Best,
Erika