writing multi-party conversation

Wed Aug 2 23:03:37 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 2, 2006

Hello Erika, Steve, Antonio Carlos, Ingvild, Stefan, Stuart, and
Everyone!

Thank you for these really interesting messages...It is inspiring to
read them. I am going to find your page 102, Ingvild, shortly, and
read it...smile.....and I know Stefan has written dialogues too....

This is such an excellent summary below, Steve...our history in a
nutshell ....and you have helped us jump the big hurdle into the
world of vertically-written documents with Lanes, thanks to SignText...

Documents in vertical lanes are easier for readers, because it shows
clearly to the reader, that one item located on the right, is being
compared to another item located on the left. You can scan down the
columns when reading long documents and see the signer referring to
the right and to the left...it is so easy to read, it really looks
like a person signing...I believe this is important for the
preservation of signed language grammar, and important for developing
fluent readers in SignWriting. So thank you for the tools to do it
with...

I can show you all some of the new SignBank Document Maker program
soon. It is a layout program for creating documents...a little like a
Microsoft Word for SignWriting, using SignText as the writing
program....Steve mentioned it below...

Val ;-)