writing multi-party conversation

Mon Aug 7 14:57:44 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 7, 2006

On Aug 6, 2006, at 11:36 AM, eghoffma at UMICH.EDU wrote:
> Thanks to all for the advice - I'm having a lot of luck with my
> multiparty transcripts. Val, the prop symbol works great. Now, is
> there an additional symbol to use if a participant reaches out and
> touches another participant? The prop symbol would suit my needs in
> that respect, but it seems kind of funny to represent another
> person as a prop!
> Best, Erika

Hi Erika!
Glad to hear you are having a lot of luck...that is great news!

I am happy to know the Prop symbol is working for you...I giggled
when you were concerned for the feelings of another person being
called a Prop! You don't have to tell them that is the name of the
symbol - ha!

The term Prop was used because the symbol started in DanceWriting and
in the theater world, they use the term Prop for things or items you
contact on stage.

The Prop Symbol could be used to refer to a person being contacted
too, if you wish, and that would be read easily I think....this means
that you probably have more than one Prop...Here is how we would
write the Prop symbol in that case...The curves of the Prop Symbol
were designed to house the contact symbol on one side, and the number
of the Prop on the other side. Then in a footnote you have the number
of the Prop listed with an explanation of what it is...

See attached diagram...continued you next message...