True, SignWriting is not a computer program... and new book!

Kimberley A. Shaw kshaw at WELLESLEY.EDU
Tue Aug 8 12:53:32 UTC 2006

Hello all:
I feel so retro now! I love what computers can do to make it easier to
publish SignWritten documents ... but I do enjoy writing it by hand as
well, and would love to see more calligraphers jump on board and see what
*they* can offer this writing system.
Am just back from spending two weeks immersing in ASL at Gallaudet
University, where I kept a handwritten SignWritten journal -- in ink, no
less, using my favorite instrument for SignWriting thus far -- a Chinese
calligraphy brush.

And on a related note,
I am pleased to announce the release of "ASL Story Book", of which a few
copies have already sold on the Gallaudet campus!
It contains 9 different stories/poems, by different authors, some from the
SignWriting site, some brand-new texts, and some transcribed from
interesting older sources.
The cost is $18, which includes postage; please contact me at
"skifoot at vtext.com" if you would like to buy one.
Best,
Kim from Boston

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu on Sunday, July 30, 2006 at 12:02 PM -0500