True, SignWriting is not a computer program... and new book!

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 9 04:20:55 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 8, 2006

  Kimberley A. Shaw wrote:
> I feel so retro now! I love what computers can do to make it easier to
> publish SignWritten documents ... but I do enjoy writing it by hand as
> well, and would love to see more calligraphers jump on board and
> see what
> *they* can offer this writing system.
> Am just back from spending two weeks immersing in ASL at Gallaudet
> University, where I kept a handwritten SignWritten journal -- in
> ink, no
> less, using my favorite instrument for SignWriting thus far -- a
> Chinese
> calligraphy brush.

Hello Kim!
Welcome back from Gallaudet University. I hope you enjoyed your
experience on campus...and I understand you and Charles did
meet? ....and you discussed SignSpellings over Kentucky Fried Chicken
and beer, with a group of students from Gallaudet? ha! What a great
way to spread interest in writing ASL...;-)

Your calligraphy sounds intriguing...can you scan some for us and
show us on the List?

There are some wonderful handwritten SignWriting styles that I have
seen over the years...that would be fun to gather that together and
create an article about handwriting styles...