spelling help

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Wed Aug 9 12:11:43 UTC 2006

Yes Fairview specifically teaches multiple meanings, and something called
"bridging" where a phrase like "give out" is taught as a unit of meaning,
so the kids translate that into 'distribute' or 'exhausted,' not "give-you
outside".  It also teaches that there may be different signs for the same
meaning-- like "closed fists to open 5s", and hooked 8s to open 5s"...
(those mean the same thing.)  Another part of the program actually works
with their ASL competency!  They sign a story and the ASL model signs it
back in better ASL.  This is our first year with it.  Now if they would
just add SignWriting to it, it would be a phenomenal program!  Maybe you
should write to them Val, and convince them of that!  ::grin::

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
08/09/2006 12:52 AM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] spelling help

SignWriting List
August 8, 2006

Hi Cherie -
I agree with Charles, this is very nicely written and quite accurate.

Good luck with showing how SW will integrate with current teaching
methods...The Fairview method is a reading program that uses ASL to teach
Deaf kids, is that right?

Val ;-)

---------

Cherie from Georgia wrote:
I am trying to spell this sign...  Its in a reading program for Deaf kids
called Fairview, if any of you are familiar with it...  They use it as a
sign for "give out," meaning exhausted, too tired to do anything.  They
have it glossed as "fall flat,"  and describe it as "legs on open palm,
back"  Here is my rough attempt to write what I think they mean:

      Is it spelled reasonably correctly?  The V hand falls with a
loop-di-loop, then smacks onto the open palm, then pulls back along the
hand.

 We are trying to show how SW can be integrated with current teaching
materials to make everyone's life easier.

Another gloss they have for "Give out" is 'fall flat 2'-- "flat hand on
open palm, back"  and one glossed as exhausted-- "hooked 8s to open 5s"
I know what "closed fists to open 5s" is (another one on the same card),
but I can't figure out the hooked 8s...  Do any of you know which signs
these phrases might be referring to?

Thanks for all your help!