NORWAY Writing Craftsmen Gestures for Research

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Aug 21 15:08:59 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 21, 2006

Hello SW List!
Hope you had a great weekend. Can you believe it is Monday already?
Time flies!

In the beginning of August, our non-profit organization received
funding from a Norwegian University researcher to write the movements
of Norwegian craftsmen, while they cut timber. This is an
anthropology project, and we were hired to write the movements of
craftsmen from videotape...reconstructing the way the Vikings created
their boats...their techniques for cutting timber were almost like a
dance...like choreography...there was a rhythm to the movements and
people could be taught how to do this Timber-Cutting technique...so
just like dance, or sports, it could be written with our general
Movement Writing system.

So I took the job, mainly for the funding, but also because it is a
fascinating project! The funding has already been used to invest in
software development for SignWriting, so this has been well worth
it...plus we now have an unusual Movement Writing project to share
with others...I want to thank everyone for your interest and patience
while I finish this job...

Yes...That's correct. I am not done...The deadline was today, but now
the deadline has been extended to later this week, and I am happy
about this, because I am making good progress...

You can follow my work. Go to this web page:

Writing Gesture for Scientific Research
http://www.movementwriting.org/science

Here is an example attached...You can see some symbols that you can
recognize...that are used in SignWriting too...like the Strike
Contact, Fast Symbol, Torso Tilts, Movement Arrows that are double-
stemmed for movement parallel to the Wall Plane, Grasp Contact etc....