When writing a document in SW...

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. kegl at MAINE.RR.COM
Tue Aug 22 02:42:28 UTC 2006

I can see that spatial comparisons and role shifting are apples and oranges,
and I did not mean to suggest that the two concepts (or topic marking and
role shifting) were synonymous -- far from it.

Sometimes, I just use a particular symbol to convey a particular grammatical
concept.  SignWriting utilizes a transparent system almost all of the time,
but that is a rule that I think need not be honored in every instance.
Punctuation depends upon a code which the reader simply has to know, and if
not obvious, then someone has to teach its significance.  Well, I am
thinking there is no harm in that, especially if one is wedded to horizontal
writing, as I seem to be.

-- James

on 8/21/06 9:36 PM, Valerie Sutton at sutton at signwriting.org wrote