Movement Writing project...gesture of craftsmen

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 24 17:06:54 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 24, 2006

Dear SW List!
Recognize some symbols used in SignWriting, in this Movement Writing
phrase? (see attached)

Can you see how Movement Writing as a research tool, was applied to
writing signed languages back in 1974 in Denmark, and slowly, we have
the writing system called SignWriting today...thanks to years of work
by very dedicated signwriters like yourselves ;-)

So we use the double-stemmed arrows, the tilting symbols, the Grasp
and Touch and Pressing Contact symbols, the Tension Symbol...all
those are used in both SignWriting and the general Movement Writing
system too:

See this web page which I just finished today:

Comparing Two Movement Phrases in Timber Writing
http://www.movementwriting.org/science/timber/timber10.html

there are several web pages comparing two movement phrases from
different parts of the video: