A Linguistic Big Bang (Nicaraguan Sign Language)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Aug 26 03:42:11 UTC 2006

Absolutely beautiful article.  Excites me about my work in Brazil and who knows, in Maryland soon.

  Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:
  SignWriting List
August 25, 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Tim Grove wrote:
> Amazing what you can find on the internet when you are looking for
> something else! I was doing a search on the "Big Bang Theory" and came
> across this old New York Times article... I thought some others might
> like to see this also.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/19991024mag-sign-
> language.html
>
> Best regards,
> Tim
> (A colleague pointed out the reference to SignWriting in it; I
> missed it the first time through!)

Hello Tim!

This is a great article...thanks for the link, Tim...and Judy and
James Shepard Kegl are both on the SignWriting List, as you know...

Not only is SignWriting mentioned in the article, but Yuri is
standing in front of a blackboard that has SignWriting symbols on
it...see the first photos at the top of the article...so SignWriting
is there, thanks to Judy and James and Yuri!

The story Babar, which they mention in the photo captions, is one of
the many stories written in SignWriting at the school...

SignWriting in Nicaragua
http://signwriting.org/nicaragua/nicaragua.html