Belgium: back to school :)

Thu Aug 31 16:34:20 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
August 31, 2006

See attached...

In this sign, a foreigner to Flemish Sign Language like myself, would
not know if the finishing position closed into a complete contact or
not...see writing versions 1 and 2...your original writing could
technically mean either of these. Of course I know you know your own
language, and assuming knowledge of that language, your students
probably know what the ending is, and 9 times out of 10, even in
other signed languages, the ending is usually number 2...

Number 3 is the way the DAC (our Deaf group in the US back in the
1990's) would write it, based on the idea that the focus of the
movement is the Position of Contact, or the ending of the sign, and
so the beginning position could be assumed and dropped... So if I
were writing this, I would choose Number 2 or 3...