CASE vs SEE

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Mon Feb 27 14:02:11 UTC 2006

SEE is a system that tries to include every unit of meaning in English
into manual form initialized with the first letter of the word as much as
possible.  So the sentence "I am going home" would have 5 signs, including
a separate sign for "-ing".  I used to work with a lady who used this
system.  "Thanksgiving" --one sign in ASL-- would be 4 signs in SEE=
Thank, s, give, ing.  Its impossible to use at normal conversational
speeds, and ridiculously silly the way they mangle some signs.  I'll try
to do a true SEE sentence soon, and send it to ya'll.  Signs are based on
the  out of three rule.  If a word is spelled the same and pronounced the
same then it is signed the same regardless of meaning.  So, I have a run
in my hose, I want to run for president, and my nose is running would all
use the same sign for run.

There are a ton of other signed English code systems that try to manually
represent English, and SEE is not the worst, although its close. THey were
designed to teach Deaf kids English, but have been usurped and people are
trying to use them instead of a true language.  So the kid sees nothing
but these codes all day every day...

CASE is true ASL signs, used in English word order.  Some people who use
this system will structure, some won't.  Many don't realize that what they
are signing doesn't make visual sense...  (I teach staff here at the
school a class designed to help them understand there is such a thing as
'visual sense' )

PSE is also called contact language.  Its what is generally used when
hearing and Deaf come together.  Deaf folks move to more English word
order to accomodate the hearing person, and the hearing person moves to
more ASL-like signing --if they are able to. BIG IF-- to accomodate the
deaf.  Usually the deaf person ends up doing more accomodation than the
hearing person...

cherie

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Adam Frost" <icemandeaf at HOTMAIL.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
02/26/2006 01:54 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
[sw-l] CASE vs SEE

I am not that good with writing the mouthing, but it is "It rained cats
and dogs, yesterday" for SEE and "Yesterday, it rained really hard" for
CASE.
Adam
PS The restructuring is allowed for CASE because the English would not
make visual sense if it was kept as it was in SEE and it keeps the same
meaning. Just a little something that I am getting from my interpreting
classes right now. ;-)