Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) summer course 2006

Mon Feb 27 17:16:49 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
February 27, 2006

-----------------

> Tim Grove answered...
> ....you might like to check out the courses that SIL run in
> conjunction with the University of North Dakota. You can find more
> details at: http://www.und.edu/dept/linguistics/
> courses.htm#SignedLanguages.

-----------------

Hello Kathleen and Tim!
Tim is right. The Summer Institute of Linguistics (the SIL) presents
a summer course on linguistics in North Dakota, and they present
SignWriting there, along with many other things! Two teachers there
are Steve and Dianne Parkhurst, who are the authors of the fantastic
textbook on SignWriting in Madrid, Spain, called SignoEscritura. Lots
of people use their textbook around the world, to learn SignWriting.
The Parkhursts also wrote a complete novel in SignWriting in Spanish
Sign Language - a bound book with no spoken language in it! An
historic first to have a mystery novel completely written in
SignWriting!

Others who will be teaching or attending are Stuart Thiessen from
Iowa, who is working on a degree in which SignWriting will be an
active part, and also a teacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Marty
Carlson, who uses SignWriting with her Deaf students in Albuquerque,
attended the SIL summer course last summer...

They have used SignPuddle in these courses in the past, to write some
Mexican signs from Mexican Sign Language...you can see their signs in
the Mexican SignPuddle...

So it is a perfect course for you, Kathleen, because it combines
using SignWriting with many other things...I know they give an
overview of other linguistic-notation systems too, although they are
not designed for the same reason as SignWriting as you know...so you
will learn a lot I am sure, plus get to know others who use
SignWriting around the world...

Here are the people to contact about the SIL Summer Course...

Al Bickford
albert_bickford at SIL.ORG

Steve and Dianne Parkhurst
steve-dianne_parkhurst at sil.org

Stuart Thiessen
thiessenstuart at gmail.com

If you want to hop on by California on your way home from North
Dakota, that would be great to meet you in person - smile!!

Hope you can go to North Dakota to study with SIL...they are sooo
famous!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

Tech support by voice or video...
Make an appointment by email ;-)