New Symbols in the IMWA ready to use in SignPuddle

Mon Jan 2 14:32:19 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
January 2, 2006

Dear SignWriting List Members!
It is a new year, and a new day, and I feel happy to know all of you,
and to share with you ;-)

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! My family and I had a great
time this year...we are very fortunate.

Over the past month, I have been adding new symbols to the IMWA. When
I began a month ago doing this job, we had a little over 25,000
symbol-graphics-files stored in the IMWA folder (pngs). That does not
mean that we have 25,000 actual symbols that you all have to
learn...so do not worry! It means that each symbol has around 96
graphics files, if you count 16 rotations, 6 palm facings, and
symmetrical flops...So 96 graphics files for each symbol starts to
add up! So my work is very technical and not something that the
everyday signwriter has to worry about...

Anyway, I did accomplish a lot. There are now 29,108 graphics files
in the IMWA folder...which means I added over 3000 symbols...and
thanks to Steve, they are already available for use on SignPuddle on
the web. There will be more, but at least I got this far!

Right now, I am adding those same 3000 new symbols into the SignBank
database and then I will post SignBank for download...

I am going to try to post one eLesson per day now. So my Lessons-A-
Day this week will share some of the new symbols I have added to the
IMWA, which you can now use in SignPuddle. Then we will start
learning SignBank with SignPuddle, once I have introduced the new
symbols...

So this will be fun!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting