Left-Handed and Right-Handed in SW

Juliette Dalle july.tigre at FREE.FR
Sun Jan 29 21:41:29 UTC 2006

Hello Stefan, Neil, Valerie, Kathleen, Marty, and....

Thanks a lot for your comments, observations and thinkings. Only I
didn't developp the real problem. I will say you more after my meeting
with team of teachers with who I work since october and the group of
linguistics for who I work. We will discuss about it tomorrow.

Only i can say you that we use the SW as a tool for the Sign Language.
Not as a written language. Because we don't know if theis system will
answer as a full form writing for a sign language. Indeed the
linguistics want to find if in the SW there are many informations about
the iconity. In our LSF, the iconity, grammar, the view and space-time
are very important. So the SW could do it all in a text ?

To the maternal school, we notice that the children (5 years) have a
little problem to know the left and right hand on a sign in SW. Indeed
we don't give a real lesson of SW (system) to children. We give juste
some signs in SW to children to see if they could unterstand and we
guide them to find the answer. It is this situation, we notice the
problem. So we have to create the same signs in SW with color (Blue for
right hand and Red for left hand). It helps many the children to
"catch" the sign without wrong. And in this class (3 children of 5
years), one is left-handed and 2 right-handed. The left-handed child
feels now to not be isoled because of difference.

To the elemary school (6-10 years, supports : signes isoled and texts
in SW), with 2 classes, we have notice the same problem but little with
the classe of 6-7 years old, we use the color left-right, the children
unterstand better. In these classes (9 children), 4 are left-handed. It
is the first time this year that we have many left-handed children.

Other problem (why it is a problem with the reft-right handed ?), we
think that it is provinced from different methode of perception :
lecture of a SW text and "lecture" of signing of the teacher (miror /
crossing) :

- in the SW text, we see as a miror, as if we sign ourselves.
- when we look the teacher to sign, we must think in "crossing" as if
we try to become in the place of the teacher.

It is a different perception. These 2 perceptions make a bit to confuse
the children who make to confuse the teachers who aren't so strong in
SW. I am always with them during the SW-LSF lessons.

It do us to create a method to read a SW text in the miror method. It
is the reason that we use the color Red-Blue. You can see the exemple
of this SW text (car story). In the general, the children unterstand
well the story without the color, but when the teacher asks a thing
very precisated, the problem appears.