CALL FOR PAPERS, International Society for Gesture Studies

Wed Jul 5 16:04:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 5, 2006

Information about a new conference, sent to me to post to the List:

-----------------

Dear sign language interest group members,
   we are pleased to announce the 3rd conference of the International
Society for Gesture Studies (www.gesturestudies.com) in Chicago. This
time we would like to see more sign language papers than we did in Lyon
last year. Please distribute  the info to other related lists .
Hope to meet in Chicago next summer !!
Asli Ozyurek
CALL FOR PAPERS

The International Society for Gesture Studies
invites participation in its third Conference,
Integrating Gestures
June 18-21, 2007
on the campus of Northwestern University
Evanston, Illinois  USA

The International Society for Gesture Studies announces its third
Conference, Integrating Gestures, to be held June 18-21, 2007, at
Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois (just north of Chicago).
   Following on the two previous conferences, Gesture:  The living
medium
(Austin, Texas), and Interacting Bodies (Lyon, France), we invite your
participation.

Gesture is ubiquitous in human communication, from the earliest
developmental stages on, and is seen as a part of language use, of
spatial thought, in the expression of emotion, in the arts...in all the
ways we communicate.   The emphasis of this conference is on the ways in
which gesture is common between, and unifies, these many kinds of
communication and researchers' many approaches to studying these
processes.

The Society and the Conference seek proposals dealing with any aspect of
gesture, in humans, in other species, and in computational systems.
Examples of topics which would be appropriate are
•    gesture and speech in communication;
•    gesture and sign languages;
•    gesture and space;
•    gesture and language development;
•    gesture and neurocognition;
•    gesture in human-computer interaction and in virtual humans;
•    gestures, human evolution, and primate communication;
•    gesture recognition;
•    gesture and culture;
•    gesture in the arts (dance, music, film);
•    gesture and the communication of emotion;
•    as well as others.

The Conference welcomes proposals in a variety of formats:
•    individual papers (20 minutes + 10 minutes for discussion);
•    posters;
•    integrated thematic sessions (60 or 90 minutes); and
•    data sessions (60 or 90 minutes).
in addition, there will be one plenary keynote per day.

Deadline for submissions:  November 15, 2006

ISGS 2007 Local organizing committee
.    Richard Ashley (Northwestern University)
•    Justine Cassell (Northwestern  University)
•    Susan Duncan (University of Chicago)
•    Susan Goldin-Meadow (University of Chicago)
•    David McNeill (University of Chicago)
•    Gale Stam (National-Louis University)

ISGS Officers and Gesture editors
•    Janet Bavelas (University of  Victoria)
•    Adam Kendon (Philadelphia/Napoli)
•    Lorenza Mondada (University of Lyon)
•    Cornelia Müller (University of Berlin)
•    Asli Ozyürek (MPI Nijmegen)
•    Mandana Seyfeddinipur (MPI Nijmegen)
•    Gale Stam (National-Louis/University of Chicago)
•    Jürgen Streeck (University of Texas-Austin)

Communications, including questions of all kinds, should be addressed to
     r-ashley at northwestern.edu
For more information about the Society, please visit our website at
www.gesturestudies.com .   Information about the 2007 conference will be
expanded  shortly,  and also appear at www.music.northwestern.edu/isgs .

--
Asli Ozyurek, PhD
FC Donders Center for Cognitive Neuroimaging

Wundtlaan 1, 6525 XD
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
tel: 00-31-24-3521280
fax: 00-31-24-3521300