ASL poetry and nursery rhymes

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Jul 5 21:00:20 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 5, 2006

> Cherie Wren from Georgia, US wrote:
> I attended the RID Region II conference while y'all were at NAD.
> One workshop was on using ASL poetry to interpret nursery rhymes...
> the attached was our groups rendition of "Jack and Jill". For those
> who aren't familiar with ASL poetry, rhyming is done with repeating
> handshapes. This interpretation of Jack and Jill uses the 1 (index
> finger extended) handshape almost exclusively... brief modification
> with the classifier describing the pail, but other than that...I
> had some trouble with the diagonals for up and down the hill... Did
> I write them correctly? Also how do you indicate that a handshape
> is left in place from the previous sign, while the next part
> happens? Did what I did here convey that adequately?
>> Jack and Jill
>>
>> went up the hill
>>
>> to fetch a pail of water
>>
>> Jack fell down
>>
>> and broke his crown
>>
>> and Jill came tumbling after.
>>
>> cherie

-----------------------

Hello Cherie and Everyone!
This is so cool. Great to see sentences in SignWriting.... Thank you!
And most with the Index Finger...interesting!

For the purpose of this email, I created a GIF of the sentence to
make sure everyone on the List will see it. I think our List is
suffering from not enough memory to handle all the many email
messages and big graphics, and also spam...so when a big diagram is
posted, it can rob other messages from a chance to post...

So see the GIF attached.. The first sign establishes Jack? and the
second one is Jill? When I first read it, I longed for having Jill
there waiting with white palm on the left side while Jack moved...so
the sign would start with two white palmed index hands somewhat far
apart from each other...but then I realized it may not have been
signed that way...It doesn't feel like a beginning of a sentence
because we have always written a facial expression in the beginning
of sentences...like eyebrows up for a topic marker, or eyebrows down
for emphasis... Does the beginning of the sentence have a facial
expression? It would help the reader anchor the sentence's center...

I look forward to discussing sign three next...I hope later
today...Val ;-)