SignText: Editing Jack and Jill

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jul 6 20:23:03 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 6, 2006

Sign 1 and 2: Jack and Jill
A Deaf DAC member, Darline Clark Gunsauls, started writing children's
stories directly in ASL years ago. Darline felt that we needed to
start children's stories with a smiling facial expression, to give a
positive feeling to the writing. When Darline signed to children, she
tended to smile more...I suspect we all do that with children without
realizing it. That is why I added smiling faces to the first two
signs, which establish who Jack and Jill are...want them to have a
positive feeling ;-)

If you do not agree with this, Cherie, of course we won't do it...it
is your choice...

What is your facial expression on the first two signs?

Once I get your answer I will continue explaining the writing of the
next signs ;-)

Look forward to hearing from you! And thank you, Cherie, for this
great opportunity...