Editing SignWriting Literature, email overload and schedules ;-)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 8 15:12:43 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 8, 2006

Hi Cherie and Everyone!
Yes. I realize that your computer at work is better than your
computer at home, so over the weekend, I can at least post my
messages for editing suggestions, and then next week, or whenever you
have time, you can work on your finished product.

It is important you use Firefox from now on, preferably from both of
your computers. Make Firefox your default web browser, rather than
using Internet Explorer. That will be better for the school too. Use
Internet Explorer only for searching the web, but use Firefox for
creating new signs and new documents. Internet Explorer is not as
good as it used to be...Microsoft is not providing as many updates
and changes, since they have so much competition from other free web
browsers like Firefox.

You can also get an external hard drive, attach it to your computer
at home, and backup your current files onto the hard drive. Then you
could eliminate some of the files on your home computer, so you can
free up more memory...

And yes, just as you use MS Publisher, I use Photoshop to fix
diagrams, create illustrations etc. Microsoft Word is not a graphics
editing program, so I agree that for graphics editing, you need
another program of some kind!

SignBank is a desktop database...it is a place to store documents and
signs and illustrations and videos and so many other things! Plus it
is an archive for every symbol in the IMWA and you can learn about
symbols too...so SignBank is a multi-featured database for learning,
searching, creating dictionaries, doing SignWriting literature
layout, and then printing. It does not work directly on the web at
this time. You have to download it and open it on your desktop, to
use it ;-))

Someday SignText and SignPuddle will flow data directly into SignBank
in an easier fashion. Right now, I drag and drop signs from
SignPuddle into SignBank, when I am creating new dictionary entries
in SignBank.

When I am creating new SignWriting Literature inside SignBank, I
create screen captures of the sentences in SignText. On my computer,
a screen capture creates a graphics file in PNG format and it places
that file on my desktop. I open SignBank on my computer, and insert
the PNG sentences as graphics inside a new layout I developed for
printing SignWriting Literature inside SignBank. I have not posted
this new SignBank on the web for download yet, but of course I will...

I will be happy to teach you SignBank later...perhaps over the
phone...or later this month on the List...

Right now, since I know that Stefan and Ingvild are participating in
our discussions of composing literature in SignText, I want to
continue with that...because some of the older SignWriting users
became skilled at using SignWriter DOS, and SignText is a totally new
and different computer experience, and so explaining how I have
learned to use SignText is important to them...

In your case, Cherie, you basically started with SignText, so you do
not have the same experiences...Every piece of software has its own
personality and we all get used to the way we work, and it is hard to
adjust to new software...Yesterday I tried to learn how to use
Thunderbird for my email...I am still using Mac Mail program today
though...why? because I haven't learned all the bells and whistles in
Thunderbird yet! So I can understand how everyone feels about
changing to new software!

OK. See next message for the editing of Jack and Jill...

Val ;-)