facial expressions

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Jul 8 22:12:15 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 8, 2006

On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Ingvild Roald wrote:

> Well, as one of the northern Europeans,
>
> and one transcribing from natie signers' videos, I must say that at
> least in  Norway, there are two types of neccessay information give
> by the face:
>
> 1:there are the 'non-manuals', the special facial expressions
> belonging to Norwegian SL itself, and
> 2: there are the mouthing movement stemming from borrowing from
> Norwegian spoken language. Norwegian signers tend to focus on the
> mouth, with the hands and the eybrows etc etc being in more of a
> side-view.
>
> In addition to these two main informations given by the face, there
> is also, as Val said, information about the mood, so, yes, the face
> is very important.

Yes, good point Ingvild...If we list them...

1. Non-manuals from native Sign Languages
2. mouthing movement based on borrowing from spoken language
3. mood and mime-like expressions that give a feeling, or tone to the
writing, and establishes the feeling of who the audience is ..like
children...

In ASL, so far anyway, we have only written numbers 1 and 3...never
even tried to write number 2 yet...smile...at least that I know of...

This is a good way to explain it...thanks!